Saturday, March 20, 2010

Heroin & Ham

"Heroin & Ham are in completely different categories!" BEST QUOTE EVER!!!!!

Do you know how long I've wanted to see the documentary, Supersize Me? It's sad how I neglect many of the things I enjoy when I get B.U.S.Y with life. I keep a list of books & movies I want to read/watch so that I can return to the list at my leisure. Apparently, not much leisure since 2004, because this was the first film on my list.

As I was cleaning my ever depleating "skitz" piles this week, getting ready for taxes, I found my list. TaDa!
I put it aside....for.....LATER! I guess the sick baby this week has kept me B.U.S.Y.
I picked it up again tonight & googled "supersize me". In doing so, I found hulu & watched the entire movie free (I don't mind the advertisements). Yep, I know, YOU all know about hulu...well, get over it! I hadn't really discovered youtube or tangle until recently either. We all know I'm not tech savy.

I loved the film. I'm already on board with virtually everything the film said, but it's horrifying to actually see the damage done & have my gut instincts reinforced by data. The segments on schools was really disturbing. I already "knew" most of these things, but it's still terrible. Nutrition is a battleground that we face head-on daily....will you fight the good fight?

I am determined to put a dent in this list before the school year is over. Here's the good news I've already read the first book on the list (confession: our wed night lifegroup happened to be doing a study on it, otherwise it would still be in my closet...where it had sat for the last 3yrs). That book was Why Christian Kids Rebel by Dr. Tim Kimmel. It was an easy read, very down to earth and it had solid practical advice on how parenting styles shape our relationship with our children.

Here is a look at the next few items on my list:
Food Inc. (wanted to see this since I saw the advertisment on my Stonyfield Farm Yogurt top)
A Full Quiver by Jan & Rick Hess
Debt-Proof Your Kids by Mary Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment